Tuesday, July 31, 2012

A camping we will go


I love living in Utah. I loooooove the mountains. When I was younger I totally took them for granted, and I realize now what beauty surrounds us here. Sometimes I am in awe that I get to live just minutes away from beautiful canyons. The last few years we have tried to spend as much time as possible enjoying the great outdoors, which usually includes at least one camping trip. Recently we got together with my fam for our annual camping adventure.

Things were a little iffy at first. The awful wildfires in the west so far this year meant fire restrictions at several campsites, so we had to improvise a bit by eating and hanging out at a picnic site and then driving 5 minutes to our actual campsite for the night, but it wasn't bad at all. Rain also threatened our fun a bit, but it quickly passed and the rest of the night was fantastic. 

Brady made a mean dutch oven, as usual. We roasted marshmallows and made s'mores, threw rocks in the water, and Claire spent a fair amount of time hunting for Tinkerbell in the forest after we happened to spot some random green glitter on a rock.


Camping while 6 months pregnant? You betcha!

Visiting around the fire

S'mores...one of the best parts of camping

My little outdoors-y girl
Even though we regularly take Claire to the mountains, we've never actually camped out overnight with her there. I wasn't entirely sure how it would go, considering sleep has always been a challenge with this one, but it was smooth sailing. She was thrilled to sleep in the big tent, and once we all settled down for the night she was out cold all night long. Brady and I tossed and turned and struggled to sleep all night, but Claire stayed snuggled in her new sleeping bag like a pro camper.
So excited to sleep in the big tent!

In fact, she was a dream the entire trip. Not only was there not a single crying episode, but I don't think there was even a whine or word of protest from her. Camping seemed as natural to her as anything. I can't believe we've waited so long to give it a shot!


A fun night with family, a little bike ride, and a little hike (where we spotted tons of butterflies, I've never seen anything like it!) later and we could declare our camping adventure a success. I never really imagined myself camping at 6 months pregnant, but it went much better than I anticipated. However, despite the fun of our little excursion, one night at a time is plenty for me. Nothing better than coming home from an enjoyable camping trip to a nice hot shower :)

3 comments:

Kateka said...

6 months pregnant! You rock, girl. Seriously, that is incredible. I am with you, one night of camping is more than enough. I could handle more than one day if I could sleep in a cabin... with a working toilet... and a shower. And searching for Tinkerbelle? That is the sweetest thing I've ever heard of.

Carina said...

Oh my gosh I loved all the updates!!! I didn't realize you got back into the blogging world :) Sooo fun and brave of you to go camping being 6 months prego! Way to go!! Also, what beautiful cabinets and flooring. I am sorry it was a pain but it looks gorgeous!!! So fun to see your updates. Keep 'em comin!

Bennion Lovin' said...

You guys are so active! How fun is your little family? I hope that when this little baby comes that I can have the courage to pack him up and stay active. You guys are always up to something fun!