Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Summer time, and the livin's easy...

So here's a confession- I'm secretly a kind of lazy parent sometimes. As a result, I sometimes want to keep Claire in a little bubble. Not because I'm a perfectionist necessarily, but because other stuff is tricky to deal with. It's an urge I actively try to fight in order to avoid becoming the dreaded "helicopter parent".

For example, dealing with wild cherry slurpee on a white shirt = tricky. Dealing with hand-foot-and-mouth disease because she licked the chairs at the library = awful. Getting crayon out of the couch = hard. See? Better to just keep her away from the hard stuff, right?

But really, what kind of childhood is that? That's no fun at all (although, hand-foot-and-mouth disease is worse, so I stand by my choice to not let her lick the chairs at the library). She actually usually makes things pretty easy on me because she generally is a pretty cautious kid. Definitely not the type to take a flying leap off the top of a slide, or anything. But I genuinely want her to be a kid, to have fun, to let loose, and sometimes I feel like I have to encourage her to do so and push her step outside of her comfort zone, all while pushing myself out of my comfort zone too.

So tonight, when we were playing at the park and her little friends came over and they took off having fun I was thrilled. And then when the sprinklers came on, and they started jumping through them and shrieking and just plain being kids in the summer time, my heart couldn't have been happier.

And I don't think hers could've either.





2 comments:

Janaca said...

Yay! I'm so happy to see your updates and feel like I know what your cute little fam has been doing. I love your family picture up at the top right of your blog! Darling. Way to go for letting loose as a parent and high five to Claire for living it up! She look so happy.

Kateka said...

Oh, this makes my heart happy. What happy pictures!